What we are doing week after week is so important for our state and the cause of freedom. We prayed for the Texas House to FINALLY get committee assignments to start the business of the people and they finally did – a little late but they are now getting to work.
We are creating these TOP 5 each week so you can share them on social media to others. Let’s try to get the TOP 5 out to your TOP 5 civic minded friends. Encourage them to sign up for our email list and stay informed. We are making a difference in the state of Texas and beyond. Let’s keep up the good work!
Here is our TOP 5 for this week.
#1 Adopt a Committee and Pray – The Texas House released their committee assignments this week. Would you take a committee on the House or Senate side and pray for the work that committee, the Chairmen, and the Members of that committee? Pick one that you are interested in and would like to follow the bills coming through it. Here are the Texas House Committee Assignments for download. Also here is the list of the Texas Senate Committee Assignments. Let’s pick one and pray for our leaders.
#2 Call the White House and ask President Trump to keep up his fight for Religious Liberty – The Left is calling the White House and we need to keep calling as well to ask President Trump to continue to stand up for religious liberties. At the National Prayer Breakfast last week – he highlighted that he wanted to safeguard religious liberty with a promise to “get rid of and totally destroy the Johnson Amendment,” a 1954 law that bars churches and other tax-exempt organizations from endorsing political candidates. You can read all about the National Prayer Breakfast here from the Baptist Press and then call the White House with a quick reminder to protect religious freedom at 202-456-1414.
#3 Read about a few Bills that we are Following – We encourage you to read about a few of the bills that we are following. Here are just a few on the Senate side.
– Senate Bill 242 (Right to Know) – Relating to the right of the child’s parent to public school records and information concerning the child. View all actions
– Senate Bill 252 (Prohibit Investments in Iran, Sudan, and other Terror sponsoring states) – Relating to prohibiting government contracts with a company doing business with Iran, Sudan, or a foreign terrorist organization. View all actions
– Senate Bill 253 (Divestment in Sudan, Iran, and other state sponsored terror entities) – Relating to investment prohibitions and divestment requirements for certain investments of public money. View all actions
– Senate Bill 256 (Confidentiality of Human Trafficked and/or abuse victims) – Relating to the confidentiality of home address information of certain victims of family violence, sexual assault, stalking, or trafficking of persons. View all actions
#4 Let’s thank the Texas Senate and Senator Van Taylor for his ethics reform bill – Senator Van Taylor has been working diligently on SB 14 which will change the way the Texas Legislature does business – making everything more transparent and shedding more light on the private dealings of elected officials. Read about the first bill that passed the Texas Senate here and then call your State Senators’ office and also call Senator Van Taylor’s office thanking him for his strong stand and commitment to transparency and ethics. Phone numbers are here. Also encourage your House Members to now pass a similar bill and stand up for transparency.
#5 MOSTLY FALSE – Texas Associations Numbers Concerning the Effects of the Bathroom Bill – This just came out this week from Politifact Texas and was touted by our Lt. Gov. Dan Patrick. The study by the TBA said in late 2016 that the bathroom law to protect our women and children would cost Texas $8.5 billion in GDP and up to 185,000 jobs. Politifact Texas says that is MOSTLY FALSE and you are read their report here. We have been very clear where we stand on this issue and have a full blog post on it from January 3rd – It’s Time to Push Back, Texas. Continue to get the facts and keep fighting for the truth.
– You love what you are reading? Help us by donating to build a grassroots army of people who care about our state and our nation. We will be having some Texas Eagle Forum event coming up soon that you can help us with and remember to come to the Texas Faith and Family Day on March 16th – register here: texasfaithandfamily.com