This last week in Austin was a bit hectic and full of surprises, some good – some not so good. There are so many pieces moving and so many opportunities for good things to happen, but we need to continue to be engaged and active.
This week the top 5 action items are going to be a little different. Since we are in April and the session ends in May, you can imagine how many times we will need your willingness to pray, contact your representative, and pass the word along.
This week we are asking you to:
1) Pray for your legislator and their families – This is the time in the legislative session when days get longer and it gets harder to keep all the plates spinning. Several legislators have lost family members, been injured in an traffic accident and the list goes on and on. Please take time each day this week to pray for safety, peace, wisdom and protection over them. Trayce Bradford was at a private meeting this last week with Senator Ted Cruz. She asked how we could be praying and he said, “Please pray for wisdom and peace”. We believe this applies to all our state leaders as well Let’s keep the prayers coming.
2) Feedback on Issues – Would you take a moment and give us some feedback? Please send us the issue you are most concerned with as you are watching this session. Let us know what you have done to support or fight for an issue. TEF fights for faith and family values and that includes marriage, life, good stewardship, education, service, and so much more.
3) Social Media – Please make sure to read the Women Wednesday blogs and Freedom Friday quotes that we are posting on social media. Here is the latest blog by Marnie Freeman. It is so helpful to get TEF’s message out to more people if you considering liking these posts and sharing those that you think are important. We are on Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram. Here is a challenge. I would like to ask you to send in a quote that sums up why you fight for freedom. We will pick some to share as we finish out the session. Citizens Voice of Freedom will be posted on the Monday Top 5. You could be a Star for Liberty.
4) We also do an update on social media each week with Concerned Women of America and SBTC. This update is known as the Mom Caucus. We will be posting those to our TEF FB page in the future. They are usually more light hearted but we do give you updates on bill movements and other action items. We also have a Champion of the Week. We try to find someone doing good just because its the right thing to do.
5) There have been some bills moving through the Senate and the House. Next week we will have more information. Senator Bob Hall’s protecting our grid bill SB83 has a hearing in the Senate Business and Commerce Committee on April 11th. Please be praying and calling your senators to tell them that this is a critical bill. Co-Authors now on the bill include Sen. Bettencourt, Creighton, Whitmire, Nelson and Sen. Larry Taylor!
There is another bill that matters a great deal to Trayce personally. Senator Van Taylor’s SB256 which passed out of the Senate Justice Committee 8-0 and then passed the full Senate floor vote and is on its way to the House. This bill pertains to an issue that Trayce worked on during college. Here is what she says, “As someone that had been stalked and physically assaulted, I had found no recourse to keep my personal information from my attacker. God opened a door for me to try to do something about this and I actually earned 6 college credits for work on this issues and victims rights. I worked as the first Victim’s Assistance Coordinator with the County DA my senior year at Texas A&M. There have been changes over the year to protect victims but not enough and this bill seeks to further protect abuse victims, trafficked victims and those in my situation giving more protection to private information. Please pray it passes through the House as quickly! Thank you for letting me share this with you and hopefully see an exclamation point on the end of the three decade long battle!”
Please share this Top 5 and please consider partnering with Texas Eagle Forum with a one time contribution or a monthly commitment.