Thank you for sticking with us thus far. We are in the final stretch.
We only have 21 more days and I will repeat that many that have been around for more legislative session than I say this has been “one for the books”. I appreciate your patience as we have tried to be wise in where we spent our time and effort. We have been very prayerful and deliberate about our strategy this session.
We have some real great news! For several sessions, we have had the privilege to work with Rep. Jeff Leach and his staff on American Law for American Courts. We have learned much along the way and this last Saturday the 3rd reading the bill HB 45 passed the House with 135 AYE votes. I sat for hours Thursday, Friday and Saturday waiting to hear the votes on this bill as well as HB 787, the Secure the Grid bill. The Grid bill got bumped to Monday. We are terribly excited that HB 45, American Law for American Courts heads to the Senate and for the first time ever it was voted out of the House! We also have high hopes for the Grid bill coming out of the House.
I also was invited to attend the bill signing for HB 89 – The Anti BDS bill that supports Israel. This was a thrill as it is the first bill TEF was supporting this session was signed by the Governor. Chairman Phil King did a great job shepherding this bill and Sen. Creighton worked it through the Senate.
More good news and a personal victory is SB 256 by Senator Van Taylor. This bill provides further protection of privacy for sexual assault victims, stalking victims and trafficked victims and I was in the House when it to was voted out unanimously and will head to the Governor for his signature.
Governor Abbott also signed the bill outlawing sanctuary cities as well this weekend. This was a huge WIN for the conservative movement and TEF was thrilled to have supported it as well. Here is the Governor signing the bill.
This week I want to start our top 5 a little differently.
1) Let’s Pray FIRST – Please stop right now if you can and pray. Pray for all our legislators and state leaders. They need courage, wisdom and strategy. Pray for their families and protection for all of us. We are all getting very tired and sometimes deeply frustrated. Pray for us to know what we should focus our time and energy on as we head into the final days of the session. Please pray for your families that have gone over and above to make it possible for us to be able to be in Austin. Your prayers right now mean more than anything. There are many decisions that are being made and things can literally change within minutes.
2) Privacy & Protection – Call your legislator again and ask them where the privacy legislation is and what they are personally doing to make sure that protection for the privacy and protection of women and children is taken care of in the state of Texas. This legislation is a must so that municipalities and school boards are not continuing to make up their own rules around the state. To request this is not being discriminatory, it is irresponsible for our leaders not to address this issue NOW. Co-Authoring a bill like HB 2899 is nice but if they are jumping on in the last couple of days- what have they been doing leading up to this point? We need you and we need our leaders to step up and take charge. You can see if your legislator is a co-author on the bill and if they are not, call and ask what they are doing for this incredibly important issue.
3) Thankful for American Laws for American Courts – Be sure and send an email or call your representative and thank them for supporting HB 45, this important bill through the House. You can check here by clicking on role call and see who voted for it and who did not.
4) Church Security – We have two Church Security bills currently stuck. HB 421 is in calendars and HB 981 is in the process of getting reports submitted to calendars. If you are unsure why this bill is important go to the Mom Caucus Facebook Page and you can watch one of the most recent videos from May 3rd that explains most if not nearly all Texas places of worship are out of compliance with the occupation code. Please let your legislators know this bill is one of these bills needed to make it onto the calendar. If bills don’t make it by midweek they are as good as dead. This is a critical week, please help us!
5) Protecting our consciences in Texas – CPS bills and a very important right of conscience bill HB 3859 are on the floor Monday in the House. I cannot begin to tell you how important HB 3859 is and the battle now being played out in the national media is full of misleading information. Read some of it here. As we have said so often throughout this session – Read the Bill! Apparently, the media DOES NOT READ THE BILL…This bill protects the rights of conscience for child welfare services providers. Texas is in a crisis with our child welfare system. We cannot afford to lose any of the foster/adoption providers in Texas which make up-25-30% of all orphan care. We have seen these agencies close in other state and are now being threatened in Texas. PLEASE Call your Rep. asap and ask for them to vote yes when this bill hits the floor today!
Thank you again for walking with Texas Eagle Forum this legislative session. This is not the end – this is just the beginning of our activism but these final weeks are so important.
Please share this blog with your friends.
Please pray for all of us.
Thank you – Trayce Bradford.